With so much going on during the holidays, you might be missing out on some pretty neat happenings, gift ideas and shows. I’ve compiled a list of my not-to-be-missed choices:
- It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play – The Orlando Shakespeare Theater invites us to share the holiday cheer of the film It’s a Wonderful Life, performed as a 1940s radio broadcast. Inspired by the legendary film includes an ensemble of five actors who bring to life a dozen characters in a radio broadcast complete with commercial jingles. Orlando Shakes invites us to fall in love, all over again, with George Bailey and the Angel who saves his life, on Christmas Eve. Through December 29.
- That’s So Gay! A Game of LGBTQ Discovery – This brilliantly kitschy new trivia game, created by Windy City Times publisher Tracy Baim, is available just in time for the holidays. Featuring more than 2,400 questions of LGBTQ history and current events, the game can be played by two or more people and is ideal for parties and social events. The phrase “That’s so gay!” has been used mostly in a negative context for decades. Some people use it as a way to attack or vilify the community, and others use it in fun, not realizing the damage it can do. As with the reclaiming of negative words and phrases such as “queer,” this game seeks to turn “That’s so gay!” into a positive opportunity to educate LGBTQs and allies, and even those people who use the phrase as an attack.
- Adam Lambert doll – I live for this!! This one of a kind Adam Lambert doll was specially created by Mattel to benefit Project Angel Food & was auctioned off last year. Somebody find it for me!
- The Screw You Revue – What better way to spend the holidays than by getting screwed with Orlando’s own Didi Panache and Lady Winifred? Now based in New York, this improvised comedy musical revue stars husbands Douglas and Dewey McGeoch. Through December 24.
- BIG: 25th Anniversary Blu-ray/DVD – Yea, yea, I can just sense the gay snickers but how can you not loveTom Hanks as the endearing 12-year-old man-child in Penny Marshall’s timeless, hilarious delight. Tired of being a kid, Josh Baskin wishes he was big. When he wakes up the next day, he’s an adult! Now, Josh must hold down a job – and please a new boss. Tougher still, he must convince his best friend that he’s still himself, and explain to a beautiful woman who falls for him, that he’s not. Soon, Josh just wants to be a kid again, but can he? As exhilarating as it was during its acclaimed debut, the warm-hearted Big is now available as a Blu-ray + DVD combo pack and even features collectible sound chip packaging that plays “Heart & Soul!”
- Alexander McQueen Skull-Embossed Patent Loafer,– :::Drool::: ‘Nuff said.
- American Horror Story: Season 2 on Blu-ray – If you have yet to see the incredibly wicked, breath-taking, dark and twisted show from mega producer Ryan Murphy, you are seriously missing out! Step inside a madhouse of horror and experience the chilling new incarnation of TV’s most daringly provocative series. The sins of the past haunt the present at the notorious Briarcliff home for the criminally insane, ruled with an iron fist by Sister Jude. Forbidden desire and terrifying evil lurk around every corner…from alien abduction to demonic possession to a skin-wearing psychopath known as “Bloody Face.” Emmy® winner Jessica Lange leads an exceptional ensemble cast, including swoon-worthy Zachary Quinto, James Cromwell and Sarah Paulson.
- Wrapped in Red by Kelly Clarkson – The first Christmas album from global superstar Kelly Clarkson, features the brand-new instant classics “Underneath the Tree” and “Wrapped In Red” along with her take on Christmas favorites like “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” and “Silent Night” is available now!
For your chance to win a copy, Comment below with something that is on your Holiday Wish-List. Winners will be chosen at random Monday, Dec. 23 at 6pm ET.
Contest is now closed. Winners have been notified.
- Send an LGBTQ Christmas Card to the Pope (examiner.com)
The 50th ANNIVERSARY edition of Julie Andrews’ MARY POPPINS!